The 7th CFE Faculty Showcase on Teaching is less than a month away! We invite all UNC Faculty to register for the Showcase, which is scheduled for Friday, November 2nd at the Carolina Club. There will be lunch, a light breakfast, and prize giveaways. Be sure to register to be included in the drawing for prizes.
Several concurrent sessions are scheduled throughout the day and you are welcome to attend any portion of the event that suits your schedule and interests, or stay for the entire event. In addition to the concurrent sessions, we are excited to share that Showcase participants will hear from Provost Bob Blouin at lunch. Virtual reality demonstrations will also be offered throughout the entire event.
Spots are quickly filling up so make sure to register soon!
Keynote on Inclusive Learning Environments
This year’s Keynote Speaker will be Dr. Joy Gaston Gayles, Professor of Higher Education at North Carolina State University.
Dr. Gayles will speak on creating inclusive learning environments. She will share strategies for maximizing student learning and creating environments in which all students feel safe, supported, and encouraged to engage in the knowledge discovery process.
Here is the list of concurrent session topics. Nearly 50 faculty members from a wide range of disciplines across campus will share their teaching methods and ideas:
- Teaching in Challenging Times
- Beyond the Standard Course Evaluation: Peer Evaluation Models
- Technology Tools Round-up
- Strategies for Effective Group Activities
- X Reality: Blurring the Line Between Digital and Physical Environments
- Using Student Data to Advance the University’s Teaching Mission
- Best Practices in Online Course Design
- Plagiarism Deterrent Tools: Punitive to Pedagogical
- Engaging Students Through Instructional Simulations
- Designing Effective Writing Prompts
- Teaching Demonstrations: Learning from the Students’ Perspective
- Incorporating Student Research into Undergraduate Courses
- Lighting Round: Steal-My-Idea Competition
There are so many exciting new ideas happening around campus and we encourage all UNC Faculty to register and attend this great event. We hope to see you there!