SAKAI 20 IS HERE!
Thank you for your patience as we worked on upgrading Sakai to version 20.1! Our tech teams in ITS Educational Technologies and Infrastructure & Operations worked quickly to bring Sakai back up around noon. We’re thrilled about all the improvements now available in the UNC Sakai system!
Please clear your browser cache to pick up the latest updates as you may experience some display issues. Note that Firefox is the recommended browser for Sakai. As with any major system update, if you encounter any bugs or odd behaviors, please let us know by submitting a help request .
Sakai 20 Features
Here are many of the new features you’ll find in Sakai 20!
Layout & Preferences
- Updated Carolina color scheme
- Bullhorn alert notifications of recent updates
- Add your name pronunciation and pronouns, visible in Roster
- Fullscreen view
- Grading Rubrics now available in Gradebook, Assignments, Tests & Quizzes, and Forums!
- Document preview Grader! No need to download student attachments and can easily provide inline feedback within Sakai.
- Private Notes shared between graders. Great for multiple instructors and TAs grading.
- Unlock Groups associated with Group Assignments to update student membership
- Send students 24-hour due date reminder
- Assignment status bar in student view
- Auto-publish Assignments imported from another Sakai site
- Excuse a student from a Gradebook Item
- Bulk edit and delete Gradebook Items
- Apply equal weight to items in a category, regardless of point values
- Message students from a Gradebook Item — all, ungraded, or graded based on range of scores
Tests & Quizzes
- Combined view lists all published assessments and draft copies at once
- Search and filter assessments
- Extra credit questions
- Auto-retract feedback
- Display feedback only to students scoring below a certain percentage
- Bulk delete and recover assessments
- Batch edit dates across Sakai tools in new Date Manager
- Auto-create Groups by section, based on number of groups or students
- Manage Participants in new location, filtered by group
You’re also welcome to review the Sakai Community’s Sakai 20 feature summary. Welcome to Sakai 20!
Note on Poll Everywhere: Currently, the tool that imports Poll Everywhere responses into the Sakai Gradebook is not available in Sakai 20. This functionality will be added during the Spring 2021 semester. In the meantime, visit UNC Poll Everywhere for information on how to import responses using a spreadsheet.